Pkillers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pkillers

The forum home of Pkillers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Typo: His, not their.

Go down 
+2
synapz
Janook
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Janook

Janook

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-01-14

Typo: His, not their. Empty
PostSubject: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 5:01 am

Instead of "Janook strikes you hard with their stick"
should be "Janook strikes you hard with his stick"
"Their" is plural possessive. "His" is singular. (Even if the person is a girl, it's still grammatically correct.)
Or you could just use "a".
"Janook strikes you hard with a stick"

Maybe I'm nitpicking... Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://janook.strangled.net
synapz

synapz

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 5:19 am

No, you're right. I knew that when I wrote it. I am avoiding sex and a/an issues. Sorry. affraid

PK 2 will have sexes, so we can finally let it go. tongue
Back to top Go down
Shinynew

Shinynew

Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 pm

well there is one known girl that plays this game, but it doesnt really matter either way. Does it really bother you that much?
Back to top Go down
Sway

Sway

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 2:14 pm

depends one what matters to you more: being politically correct, or grammatically correct. I don't think it matters much either way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyfae
qma

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptyTue Jan 16, 2007 12:02 am

You could always use Spivak pronouns, although most people wouldn't understand them.
Back to top Go down
Blank

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptyTue Jan 16, 2007 8:33 am

I see no problem with using the Singular they. It's certainly less bulky than "his or her", more correct than "his", and less confusing (geeky?) than Spivak.
Back to top Go down
Autopsy

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptyTue Jan 16, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks qma, I hadn't seen Spivak before.
Back to top Go down
Janook

Janook

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptyTue Jan 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Blank wrote:
I see no problem with using the Singular they. It's certainly less bulky than "his or her", more correct than "his", and less confusing (geeky?) than Spivak.

There's no such thing as the singular they. Well, there is such thing, it's just grammaticaly incorrect.

"If anyone claims this seat is theirs, tell them they'll have to show their reservation."
Wrong.
Should be "If anyone claims this sear is her's, tell her she'll have to show her reservation."
I used "her" because I'm unique like that. But "his" is fine too. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://janook.strangled.net
Blank

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptyTue Jan 16, 2007 8:37 pm

(In my opinion) You're confusing grammatically correct with grammatically formal. Sure, I'd agree if you said you shouldn't use the singular they in a term paper or thesis. The same thing could be said for contractions and pronouns in general.

If I want to use a gender neutral pronoun, you're saying I have to use one one of the two gendered pronouns even though they are inaccurate because it would be wrong to use the plural form. My rationale is that, if I'm forced to use something wrong because of the construction on the language, at least the singular they has the built-in gender-neutrality I want.

To me, the singular they is pretty acceptable. It's not an "ain't", "ya'll", or "yinz".

"Who left their pink jacket on the bus?"
WRONG.
Should be "Who left her pink jacket on the bus?" (Boys don't wear pink until they start doing their own laundry.)
Back to top Go down
MarkD

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. EmptySun Jan 21, 2007 2:53 pm

In my opinion, the "singular they" is an awful justification for bad grammar and embracing it just leads to further grammatical mistakes. A correct (although awkward) way to phrase it would be "so and so killed whomever with his/her sword of {insert superlative here}"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Typo: His, not their.   Typo: His, not their. Empty

Back to top Go down

Typo: His, not their.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pkillers :: Suggestions :: Complaints-
Jump to: